Friday, June 3, 2011
I just love this kid's friendly,fabulous and super easy recipe. The best part is, it is not too spicy and tastes wonderful. Kids can enjoy this juicy tender chicken pieces. Ofcourse, all ages can enjoy this... All you need is, very few ingredients and about 30 -40 minutes to make this chicken dinner . It goes very well with the kid's favourite mashed potatoes or Mac and cheese. I steamed and stir fried green beans with few drops of oil and seasoned it. I served it instead of deep fried french fries, with their favourite ketchup. Trying to adopt healthy eating habits at home.
Serving the kids:
Infants: For kids who just started taking the solids, Boiling the chicken with out any added salts, oils and spices is the best method to feed. For the kids, who are in transition from baby food to the family meal, this recipe works the best, just reduce the salts, oils and spices. Debone, shredd the chicken, and take the soft, juicy inside part and blend it with little water and feed it with spoon. In that way, you are introducing the different tastes, flavours and textures to the beginner.
Toddlers: De-bone and shredd the chicken with fork and mash it with fingers until soft and feed them.
Pre-schoolers: De-bone, Shredd the chicken with fork and give the thin strips of chicken.
Chicken leg quarters - 3 pieces.
Butter or oil - 2 tbsp
Fresh herb - 1 tbsp tarragon , rosemary, tyme
Salt and pepper
Paprika - 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
1. Take the chicken take off the skin and trim off any lumps of fat ; rinse and pat dry. Rub with salt, pepper, oil, lemon juice paprika and herbs.
2. Pierce the chicken all over with fork, so the juices, herbs and spices enter the pieces.
3. Preheat oven to 450 deg F.,with oven rack slightly below center.
4. Grease oil a baking tray and keep it ready.
5. In a pan/ griddle, pour 2 tbsp of oil and when the griddle is hot, place the chicken and sear the marinated chicken on both sides until light brown.( this method locks in the juices, and makes it tender)
6. Take the chicken and arrange it on the tray. While baking, brush additional marinade and oil on the skin, if required.
7. Roast the chicken for about 30 mins, or until golden brown .