Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gunta ponganalu / pongadalu

 Rice and lentil batter mixed with seasoning and spices; poured it in the mould and cooked to perfection. Makes a great breakfast item. I learned this from my cousin sister, from Khammam. I saw that for the very first time. It was cute watching her flip each ponganalu quite quickly, with so much ease. This item is not normally done in my family but I wanted to give it a try.  In Canada,  finding the mould was a herculean task. It was next to impossible to find one. Then, One day, I watched this TV commercial,  pancake puffs maker . It is the same thing I wanted.... I ordered the mould and there you go, I got my mould. Now my problem is to make it... First time it  turned out to be a disaster. It looked so simple and easy when my cousin made it. But eventually, I gained command with experience. Here is the recipe...

Gunta ponganalu
Ingredients:
Rice -1 cup
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Baking soda - a pinch
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Green chillies - 4 finely chopped
Cilantro - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Chana dal - 3 tbsp washed and soaked
Cumin - 1 tsp
Salt
Oil - to grease the mould

Method:

Soak rice and urad dal and grind it to a smooth batter. The consistency should be like pancake batter or idli batter. Take the batter into a big vessel, cover and let it sit overnight for fermentation. Next day morning, you should see the aeriation and smell slightly sour.

Add the chopped onions, green chillies, cilantro, cumin, pre- soaked chana dal and mix thoroughly.

Place the mould on medium heat. grease the mould with few drops of oil, (spraying with cooking oil is the easiest option). When the skillet is hot and ready, pour the batter in each unit. cover with a lid and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, undisturbed. when you see the edges are browned and the batter looks cooked. Gently lift and turn them to the other side (When properly greased and  properly cooked they should come out easily without sticking) let it cook for another 5 mins. Serve hot with peanut/ coconut chutney.
Tip: Mould is the important kitchen gadget you need to make this recipe. Fermenting process and controlling the heat is another aspect to make it. Make sure it is cooked through..


No comments:

Post a Comment