Monday, September 2, 2013

Berry Almond salad

I dropped by at Wendy's for lunch, and was looking for some healthy options in the menu.  There, I found Berry almond chicken salad.  It was very good with the raspberry vinaigrette.  It was perfect meal in itself for me, coz it has protein from chicken and also protein from vegetable source(almonds), the goodness of berries and freshness of tomatoes...  But I felt, It was overly priced. I wonder why the healthy options are overly priced and the fat laden food is priced low. It looks like they don't want us to eat healthy... lol !!   I thought, why don't I make it at home... I replicated the recipe and here you go, you got the recipe to enjoy too...  If you have the left over barbecued  or grilled chicken or roasted chicken pieces from the Thanksgiving dinner, toss it into the salad.Vegetarians can skip the chicken. Raspberry vinaigrette kicks up the notch. It adds zing to any salad.  You can make it at home and  feed 20 people with the amount you spend outside.


Ingredients:
Lettuce - 1 washed and torn in pieces ( romaine or iceberg can be used)
Cherry tomatoes - 5 sliced in halves
Strawberries -  washed and cut in 4 pieces
Blueberries - 1/2 cup washed
Slivered Almonds - 3 tbsp
Kraft raspberry vinaigrette - 2 tbsp for dressing
Grilled chicken  -  Optional ( Vegetarians can skip this item)

Method:
Take a salad bowl and put the lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, grilled chicken, drizzle with vinaigrette and toss.  Sprinkle  toasted and slivered almonds on top and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment