I made this recipe with the regular, dried, pitted apricots. If you find the brown apricots, it's excellent!! This is the first time I'm making it at home, after enjoying it in the Hyderabadi weddings. I used to think that it is made with dates, because of the brown colour. My muslim friends shared the secret of the recipe. I like some chunks of apricot to remain when cooked or it will be totally like a baby food.
Creme fraiche/ fresh cream/ whip cream/ Cool whip - few dallops to serve
Melon seeds - 1/2 tsp to garnish
- De-seed, Soak dried Apricots overnight,
- In a pan, fill water until it the apricots are just immersed and cook it on medium to slow fire until done. It takes about one to two hours to become soft. Stir occasionally. Cook until the water is almost evoporated.
- Coarsely crush the apricots with the back of the spoon.
- Add the sugar, Stir constantly to make sure it is not burnt at the bottom.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down
Serving suggestions: In the serving bowl, put few spoons of apricot mixture and top it off with Cream. Garnish with almonds or melon seeds. Serve chilled. You can also use custard to layer but it is optional.