Friday, January 21, 2011

Dal palak vada

During my University days, our college had a small canteen which was run by a woman.  Our college principal gave her special permission to run a canteen, and make a livelihood. She used to live there with her hub and  3yr old son.  During the break time, we  all friends gather in the canteen, sit under the thatched roof and on old  half broken benches. The canteen lady used to share some interesting stories about her native place, and make Dal vadas.  She also shared her Dal vada recipe with us.  I don't know about my friends but I still remember the recipe. She makes the best Dal vadas.  The taste is still lingering in my mouth. She made her Dal vadas with " Thota kura", a leafy vegetable, But I substituted it with spinach.  It equally tastes good. give it a try, here is the recipe....
Ingredients:

Chana dal/ yellow split chick peas - 1 cup, washed, soaked and ground to paste
Palak/ spinach - 1 cup, chopped
Red chilli pwd - 1/4 tsp
Cumin - 1/4 tsp
Aijwan / caraway - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Oil for deep frying





Method:
  • Wash, soak and grind the chana dal  with less water to form a dough/paste.
  • keep some soaked chana dal seperately, add it to the ground paste.
  • Add chopped spinach, red chilli pwd, cumin, aijwan, salt and mix it well.
  • Heat the oil in a frying pan .
  • Take lemon sized ground chana dal paste and flatten it with fingers and deep fry. Serve .

Tip : If you want to make it spicy add chopped green chillies, and chopped onions.

My fellow blogger Radhika is hosting an event "Deep fried snack". This is the first time I am taking part in such events. Here is my contribution for this event...




1 comment: